Thursday, June 23, 2005

Fear & Loathing in Northfield

It's Minnesota private College week, and, because I'm at St. Olaf to teach my blazingly successful Become a Lyrical Terrorist in Four Easy Steps lesson to the UB arts class this afternoon, I'm here to experience it. It's funny to think about things still happening here, especially since I haven't been on campus for a year or so. The Cage has been completely redesigned and now looks a lot like the Old Cage at the Old Student Center, featuring long, low counters and a far more linear design. You still can't sit at the long, low counter, but it's a nice nod to nostalgia.

And I can't help but remember -- dear God, it was seven years ago -- when I came down here for Minnesota Private College Week and took the tour with my parents. That was Back in The Day, and it's... I don't know... difficult to imagine that there was a time when I still had a choice about whether or not I would be an Ole. Now I am and there's nothing to be done. I'm also currently a Tommie, and will shortly be a Rebel, but neither of those seem to carry the same weight as being an Ole. Edwards, that stooge of a president, said this during his speech to the class of 2003 right before we said goodbye to our parents on that first day: "Whatever else happens to you, whatever you were before, you're all Oles now." I don't think Edwards said many things that were true, but that is definitely one of them.

It's an introspective morning; last weekend, Eric Drotning was killed in a car accident, and even though I can't really claim to have known him at all, there's something about somebody you knew being killed that is sort of obscurely upsetting. G-Money has a good deal more to say about that, and it's more insightful than I could possibly manage while sitting at a Mac in the Fireside Lounge. Let me also parenthetically say that I would be happy to enter into any conversation G-Money chooses about religion (Wallis is an interesting figure in many ways).

Never mind all that now. Above my head and behind me, some fool of a singer named Billy Dean is singing a ridiculous song about life being funny on Montel Williams, and I'm not in much of a mood for that. But if any of you are looking for something voyeuristically rewarding, hop in the car of your choice and come down to Northfield. Between MPCW and all the camps that are happening, it's a people-watcher's ball. This is not to be confused with a Player's Ball, much less to be confused with a Ball Sack, but it's a good time nonetheless.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure was fun to have you around last week. I do miss you here! I finally posted on my blog again...I also left your parents a comment, since they commented on my blog. And everyone loves comments. Even when they have barely nothing to do with the post, like this comment. Slourf-a-du!
The Madame

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home