Thursday, May 17, 2007

You Shall Know Them by Their Bass

In response to The Mayor's gracious request, here is my bass and its best friend in the world, my amp. The bass is a Fullerton Ventura 4, featuring active electronics and, as you can see from the picture, a MM+J pickup configuration. Check it out.


The amp is a dinky little Peavey Max 126. It puts out ten whole watts of power, which is really all I need. The neat thing about this little amp is that it's got a vintage compression switch, which lets me switch from a clean-sounding, more modern sound to a more compressed-sounding tube-ish vintage sound. And the amount of vintage tube-ish compression can be controlled with a separate dial. For a little amp, it's pretty sweet.

The bass is lots of fun, but if I get particularly serious about being a bass guy, some things will have to change. My only complaint about the bass as it is right now is that the pickups don't treat all the strings equally. That is, the E A and D strings all sound one way, and the G string (heh, heh) sounds another way, almost more acoustic than amplified. My instinct and some research leads me to believe that this is due to the pickups in the bass being sort of cheap, so I'm kicking around the idea of putting some different pickups in. G$ seems very satisfied with his Bartolinis, and I hear good things about Nordstrand pickups too. We'll just have to see.

But there you go. There's my bass. And with it, I can rock you like a mountain.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger The G's said...

Dude...all I have to say is that you should have the Madame knit you a super-sweet, one-of-a-kind, strap.

I lika the bass, You give me more bass

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home