Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Built Like a Cheap Hotel: No Ball Room

It's been a busy nine days here at the Ultra Lounge. Visitors everywhere you look. And did I mention that it's still right around 75 degrees here? Well, never mind that now. Let's see... where to begin....

Two weekends ago, The Madame and I were graced with a visit from none other than the Yahweh of the Ia'Drang himself, G-Money. After a curious mix up resulting from blown communications, I linked up with him at Excalibur, where he had been staying to attend a wedding next door at the fabulous Luxor. I wasn't at the wedding, but it may interest Hunt readers to know that if you get married at the Luxor, you are treated to a meal at the Pharoah's Pheast buffet, where you dine upon Phine China and Silver Phorks. Phor sure. We had a lovely afternoon scarfing pizza, watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and discussing the difference between The Business and The Pleasure. It was really excellent to see G-Money, and both The Madame and I are looking forward to seeing him again soon.

Now, fast forward just three days, and The Madame's Mother arrived from Minneapolis to help The Madame celebrate her birthday (which was on Monday, for those of you playing the Home Game) along with The Madame's aunt. Among other things, The Madame's Mother was treated to hiking at Red Rocks, an insanely profitable ninety minutes at the roulette table (Jesus turned water into wine... The Madame's Mother turned $10 into $107.50... who do you think God likes more?), and a totally outstanding drag show over at the Riviera. Side note: any future visitors interested in attending any of the shows at the Riviera should advise me; I can get you into any of them for free.

And as if all that wasn't enough, I took the stage once again with The Sunspots on Friday night at the Aztec. Did it go better than last time? It certainly did. Did I play better? Yeah, well, you know it turns out that playing a gig by ear is easier once you've already played it by ear once before. But -- and here's the real kicker -- did I not only play my saxophone but also sing with a lounge act on the Las Vegas Strip? Why, yes. Yes, I did. And I have the pictures to prove it.

Buckwalter sings Santana's "Smooth" with the Sunspots at the Aztec.

Now, I'm going to give you all a test. In this next picture, see if you can pick out which one of the people is Buckwalter, which one is Ed the Lounge Lizard, and which ones are the rest of the band. It's difficult, but I bet you can do it. You seem pretty smart.

Find the young, non-Filipino face in the crowd, and you've found Buckwalter.

2 Comments:

Blogger Madame Flamingo said...

I look forward to your next performance with the Sunspots. They are a uniquie Vegas treat, with all the glitz and glam and musical talent that you expect in this fair city. And your version of Smooth was exactly that -- how did I get so lucky as to have such a talented husband?

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like you're having fun in vegas.. but seriously dude...
come back to MN.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home