Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Ha-San Lee Center for Faculty Development

Now, you may be asking yourself: where is Buckwalter right now? And what is he doing? And how must he have pimped the system to have gotten himself there? Never fear; I have the answers you seek.

This morning, I am coming to you from deep in the heart of the Ha-San Lee Center for Faculty Development on the third floor of the Lied Library on the campus of UNLV. To get in here, I have had my picture taken, shown ID twice, and signed the sign-in form. And with all this security, I find myself wondering if I really belong in this place. Naturally, I do.

This is the Graduate Reading Room. It's just like the rest of the library, only the furniture is a little bit nicer, the computers are a little bit faster, and if you don't have a "G" on your RebelCard identifying you as a graduate student, they don't let you in. For real. It's like an old-school gentleman's club, only you don't have to be gentle or a man to get in. You just can't be one of those lazy, good-for-nothing undergrads. They have to use the rest of the library.

My parents told me a while back that being a graduate student at a large university was a lot like being on the faculty there. At St. Thomas, I never felt that vibe, but here at UNLV, I can't avoid it. It's weird: secretaries treat you differently, the administration nods knowingly, and, of course, I can use the same place the Faculty uses to Develop itself. All I need to do is memorize and use this simple phrase: "I'm a graduate student."

Being a student here is a very fine thing indeed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Madame Flamingo said...

We always knew you would rise to great heights. As a great man once said, "It is never too late to be what you might have been." And yes, that applies to being a jerk too, although that particular interpretation does not apply to you. And, if it had been Georges Sand, then it would have been a great woman. But it was George Eliot, and therefore a great man. Or did I just mix them up? Whatever. All I know is that the female of the two wrote erotic sensual fiction, wore mens' suits and smoked cigars. That's my kind of author. Can you read books by her in your elite reading space?

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home