Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Village Goat

It's remarkable what a small world the internet really is. Really. Here we all are, going along, believing that our conversations here are going on essentially unnoticed by the larger community, only to be reminded from time to time that blogs are actually a very public forum for the expression of personal opinion. If I had to guess, for example, I would say that the readership of The Hunt is probably somewhere under ten people, and that's being generous. Maybe, when G-Money and I start rapping about Our Generation, the readership goes up to fifteen or so because of interlinked entries and such, but that's probably it.

This morning, however, Mme. Flamingo (who, for the record, is my wife) threw up a post about stay-at-home-mothers. The Madame, like myself, believed that her readership was entirely limited to people she knows. Apparently, she was wrong. If you check that link out and read the somewhat-anonymous response she got from somebody named Lex who thinks Mme. Flamingo is a single woman from
Michigan, you'll see what I mean. And then, you can read all about how Lex found Mme. Flamingo's blog, what she thought about it, and how she rationalizes unleashing a shitstorm against The Madame's point of view as though the original column was a personal attack.

Now, I choose not to enter into this particular Hungarian Gang-Bang -- I won't even hypothesize about the kind of person who accuses others of being poor writers but who neglect to capitalize the personal pronoun... oops -- but I will say that even though we think nobody is paying attention to what we write, they may be just the same. This even gets back to The Kat's at-work issue (which I wrote about last time). The internet is indeed a global village.

But think about this: if the internet is a village, and if it takes a village to raise a child, then can we also assume that any village that raises a child should include frequent and scintillating mpegs of girl-on-girl-on-goat action? The harder-core the better? Now that's my kind of village. Flame on, flamers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home